POSTPONED - How can your business eliminate plastic waste entering the environment? Challenges, solutions and funding opportunities
***Sorry, this event has been postponed.***
A business breakfast event by the UK Circular Plastics Network and WRAP Cymru.
Independent studies estimate that ca. 3.7 million tonnes of plastic waste is produced in the UK each year. Of this, only ca.1.35 million tonnes are collected for recycling, and only 700,000 tonnes are processed in the UK, with most of the remainder either going to landfill or incineration. In Wales, it is estimated that just 10% of the plastic used by manufacturers is recycled material. It is clear that this needs to be addressed and several initiatives are already in place in order to do so, including the UK Government’s £60m Smart Sustainable Plastic Packaging Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund and the Welsh Government’s £6.5m Circular Economy Fund grant scheme (delivered by WRAP Cymru).
There is an opportunity to create value from plastic waste. This could involve new, commercially and environmentally advantageous technologies or business models.
About this event:
This event is open to companies from all sectors and will help companies to learn about innovations, funding and support to reduce/eliminate plastic waste entering the environment. The event will be of particular interest to manufacturers, particularly in Wales, involved in the use of plastic and textiles to learn about opportunities for incorporating and specifying more recycled content in products. The event will take place in Cardiff City Centre.
Are you a business who…?
● Manufactures plastics and/or products containing plastic (incl. synthetic textiles) in Wales?
● Operates as a business intermediary, working with manufacturers in Wales?
● Designs, uses, discards, re-uses, recycles plastic or plastic containing products?
● Wants to find out more about UK and Wales government-funded initiatives to work sustainably with plastics (incl. technical textiles)?
● Wants to learn about local manufacturers working sustainably with plastics?
● Wants to learn about trials that are being undertaken to demonstrate how barriers to using recycled content can be overcome?
● Is interested in discussing the challenges you have, or are expecting to have, to work sustainably with plastics?
● Is interested in discussing solutions/innovations you have, or are developing, to work sustainably with plastics?
If any of the above apply to you, you are invited to register for this event by the UK Circular Plastics Network (UKCPN) in collaboration with WRAP Cymru. The UKCPN initiative is supported by UKRI and delivered by the Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN), and forms part of the Plastics Research Innovation Fund (PRIF).
Follow the link below to find out more about this event and to register.