Showcasing Emerging Technologies 2018 – Photonics and Imaging
The Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) is organising an Emerging Technologies Showcase event to show off new imaging technologies from UK universities and their spinout companies. Exhibitors will demonstrate their emerging imaging technologies and talk about how they work and may be used in potential applications.
Brought to you by the KTN’s Emerging Technologies and Industries team, the showcase will introduce you to new imaging technologies from the UK’s research base and put you in touch with university enterprise managers and knowledge transfer offices.
Our aim is to help disseminate emerging imaging technologies that can be commercialised or have a positive impact on society or the environment.
We will facilitate new collaborations with industry and end users to take these technologies forward and apply them in the development of new products and services.
Additionally, we will provide support and facilitation to enable collaborative projects with industry to identify and apply for grant funding to take those projects forward.
Showcase Format: The showcase will open with an introduction from the KTN’s Emerging Technologies and Industries team and include information on funding opportunities. Following this, a talk on commercialising emerging technologies aims to guide would be entrepreneurs and those looking for equity funding. This will be followed by 5-minute presentations from each of the exhibitors. The newly formed UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) – a merger of the UK research councils and Innovate UK – will be introduced. The KTN will then introduce Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs), a grant aided mechanism whereby industry can benefit from the expertise in universities.
The technology demonstrators will be exhibited around a room, each within its own space, where delegates can view the demonstrators, gain knowledge and ask questions. The goal is to allow delegates and exhibitors to network as much as possible during and after lunch.
Who Should Attend?
- Investors, Business Angels, VCs
- Industry R&D managers and directors
- Product development managers
- Public sector officers involved in: Health; Transport; Energy; Security; R&D and innovation; Environment
- Sensing and instrumentation experts
- New product designers
- Learn about emerging photonics and imaging technologies
- Find new technologies for your applications
- Form new collaborative partnerships
- Identify new project opportunities
- Develop new commercial products
- Increase your innovation impact
10:00 Welcome & Introduction
10:05 Funding Opportunities
10:10 How to Commercialise Emerging Technologies
10:30 Exhibitor Presentations 1
11:30 Break, Networking & Exhibition
12:00 Exhibitor Presentations 2
13:00 Update on UKRI
13:30 Lunch, Networking & Exhibition
- Wee-g MEMS Gravimeter: University of Glasgow
- Terahertz imaging system using quantum cascade lasers: University of Leeds
- Ultrafast optical imaging and spectroscopy: University of Kent
- Muon tomography for subsurface monitoring: Durham University
- Single photon sensitive detector array sensors for 3D imaging at distance: Heriot-Watt University
- Fovography: Cardiff Metropolitan University
- 360o camera navigation: Aberystwyth University
- Sub-nanosecond pulsed light source: Pulser Optics
- Liquid crystal coatings for optical filters: Optomel
- Smart processing of 3D point clouds: Correvate
- Time-resolved imaging – Photon Force