Audience of the future: design foundations
Innovate UK, as part of UK Research and Innovation, will invest up to £1 million to fund early-stage, human-centred design projects through the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF). These will seek to understand customer needs and create new or better ideas for:
- immersive audience experiences across the creative industries
- tools, products or services necessary to create and deliver immersive content
Immersive experiences blur the line between the physical and simulated world. They use virtual, mixed, and augmented reality technologies, haptics and other sensory interfaces coupled with data.
You can explore innovation opportunities in one or more of the following areas:
- The nature of immersive experiences. How can the state of the art be advanced with immersive audience experiences that are desirable and fit for purpose?
- Creating and distributing immersive content. How can we make the production of high quality content cheaper, faster and more accessible?
- Delivering immersive content through hardware. Improving the physical devices through which audiences will experience immersive content, such as eye-wear, controllers or haptic feedback devices.
- Delivering immersive content through software. Designing new digital platforms and services through which audiences will access immersive content.
This competition is for early-stage projects that use customer research to generate ideas that meet customer needs. Fast, low-cost prototyping and user testing of those ideas is also within scope. Projects should deliver well-defined, user-validated ideas ready for further technical research and development (R&D).
This is part of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund’s Audience of the Future programme. Successful applicants will have an opportunity to apply for later stage R&D funding from this programme in 2019.
KTN on behalf of UK Research and Innovation, will be hosting a series of briefing events:
All events are listed below: