ISCF decarbonisation of industrial clusters: deployment
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, is seeking to invest up to £1 million, split across 2 competition strands, for collaborative projects to plan their route to cluster decarbonisation as part of the Industrial Decarbonisation challenge of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF).
This is the first phase of a 2-phase competition.
In phase 1 you must develop a plan setting out your proposed approach to phase 2.
In phase 2 up to £131 million will be awarded for projects that will deliver, or support delivery of, significant emissions reductions in a UK industrial cluster by 2030, in line with the Industrial Cluster Mission.
Phase 2 is dependent on the success of phase 1. Only successful applicants in phase 1 will be invited to take part in phase 2.
We are running a separate roadmaps strand at the same time as this one. It is focused on the development of industrial cluster decarbonisation roadmaps.
You can apply for both strands. There will be additional funding for each strand in phase 2.
Your project’s total eligible costs must be between £60,000 and £200,000.
All projects must be collaborative.
We want projects to start as soon as possible and can last between 3 and 4 months, however, we require projects to finish no later than 31 July 2020.
To lead a project your organisation must:
- be a UK registered business of any size
- collaborate with other UK registered businesses, research organisations, academic institutions, public sector organisations or charities
- carry out its project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results across other UK clusters
Academic institutions, research organisations and public sector organisations cannot lead or work alone.
To collaborate with the lead organisation your organisation must:
- be a UK registered business, academic institution, research organisation, charity, or public sector organisation
- carry out its project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
- be invited by the lead applicant to submit your project costs into the Innovation Funding Service
The lead organisation and one or more other organisations must claim funding.
Your project can include partners that do not receive any of this competition’s funding, for example non-UK businesses. Their costs will count towards the total eligible project costs.
Your proposal must explain how in phase 1 you will develop a project delivery plan for a phase 2 project.
The project must deliver, or support delivery of, significant emissions reductions in a UK industrial cluster by 2030, in line with the Industrial Clusters Mission. We expect all phase 2 projects to include a mix of:
- engineering designs
- commercial arrangements
- impact assessments
- and baseline measurements
We do not expect construction and operation of technology to be feasible within the available funding but welcome your proposal if you believe it is strong.
Your phase 2 project must also:
- demonstrate economic, environmental and social impact, quantifying these where possible
- engage a wide variety of industries across the cluster
- identify any potential to link to other UK clusters
- identify the route to securing regulatory approvals, such as environmental permits
- detail project risks, risk management and mitigation measures
The project delivery plan developed in phase 1 must:
- identify match funding sources for phase 2
- demonstrate an understanding of the approach you will take to ensure compliance with state aid considerations
- identify appropriate stage gates within the project plan
We are looking to fund a portfolio of projects, across a variety of UK locations and approaches in line with the industrial clusters mission.
If you want help to find a project partner, contact Peter Clark at the Knowledge Transfer Network.