Key technology components for local energy systems
UK Research and Innovation will invest up to £3 million in important technology components that can enhance the efficiency of local energy systems. These should deliver cleaner, cheaper energy services and create more prosperous and resilient communities across the UK.
We will fund innovations in these areas:
- Applications for monitoring electricity and/or gas network hardware and software.
- Enhancing integration between local and national electricity networks, both electricity system operators (ESO) and distribution system operators (DSO).
- Enhancing integration between local and national electricity markets (wholesale market, balancing mechanism and ancillary services)
- Multi-site, real time generation optimisation across multiple operators or aggregators.
- Enhancing the efficiency of heat networks.
- Heat and cold storage, especially inter-seasonal storage.
- Optimised vector coupling solutions: electricity, heat and transport.
Your project must align with the overall objectives of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund’s Prospering from the Energy Revolution challenge. You are also expected to share data with the Energy Systems Catapult’s Energy Revolution Integration Service (ERIS) and the Energy Revolution Research Consortium, EnergyRev.
This funding is from the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund’s Prospering from the Energy Revolution challenge.