An industry led approach to Industry 4.0
Industry 4.0, or the “4th Industrial Revolution” (4IR) offers a transformative opportunity for manufacturing. Digital technologies and systems can transform manufacturing, helping realise their future goals.
The Knowledge Transfer Network’s 4Manufacturing initiative is a revolutionary new approach developed in partnership with the industry to help manufacturers to innovate. It provides strategies for businesses to realise a more productive, prosperous future enabled by the integration of technologies and systems using data within both the business and the supply chain.
We know that companies face the following barriers and challenges:
1. Legacy systems and integration is the single biggest digital challenge.
2. Identification of new business models for vendors to make middleware and targeted software more accessible by manufacturing SMEs allowing them to embrace 4IR
3. Building competence and confidence within the company where there are skills gaps.
4. Fit for Digital. Companies of any size need to be in a fit state to benefit from adopting new technologies (machines or software). Failure to do so will compromise predicted benefits and productivity gains, rendering a high ROI an almost unachievable ambition.
5. Access to easily accessible specialist, localised programmes to help manufacturers navigate this complicated landscape and find a result that is tailored for them.
6. Support to help manufacturers understand the terminology generated through 4IR.
7. An approach that works for many manufacturers is – led from the top – driven from the factory floor.
The KTN will work with industry to
— understand your needs and identify opportunities
— define and follow a step-by-step balanced plan of action
— start with small improvements and grow capability and confidence
— make targeted links to enablers and funding
— deliver tangible benefits for your business
We are seeking to work with delivery specialists, specifically LEPs, Growth Hubs, Universities, manufacturing and innovation managers to use the free tools we’ve developed. This will give you the opportunity to roll out this proven, practical and effective support to businesses in your local region. Full specialist training will be provided.
Work with us on 4Manufacturing
We are seeking to engage regional grouping delivery specialists to work with us and use the tools we’ve developed. This will enable them to roll out this proven, practical and effective support to more companies than the 175 in our pilot study. Use of the tool is free and we will provide specialist training.
4Manufacturing is ideal for LEPs, Growth Hubs, Universities, Manufacturing Organisations manufacturing and innovation managers who roll out support programs in the regions. If you are interested in discussing how we might work together to support manufacturing SMEs, please get in touch to discuss your ideas.