Could your chemical innovation help transform the construction industry?
Posted on 25/09/2019
The Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF) Transforming Construction (TC) programme is now inviting CR&D project bids for a share of £10M. As KTN has previously described, the chemicals sector has the capability to help deliver solutions that meet the overall goal of this programme: improving the productivity of the UK’s infrastructure and construction sector. You can watch the webcast back on this programme here.
This particular funding call (which opened on 28th August and closes on 30th October) is looking for market-ready solutions to improve productivity across 5 key themes:
- digital information management, tools, systems and standards
- modern methods of construction (MMC) and platform-based approaches
- whole-life asset performance, including active buildings
- business models, procurement, analytics, benchmarking and metrics
- financial, assurance, warranty and lending products
Assets such as bridges, tunnels, roads or buildings will be composed of complex materials that have an initial construction cost, plus a maintenance cost which will need to be factored in over its lifespan. Cost of construction & maintenance is not the only metric of concern for this sector, they also want to understand the carbon impact of the embodied materials and impact throughout the lifecycle of the asset. So new materials and/or additional functionality (e.g. advanced material formulations and coatings) that improve asset performance & lifespan and durability will be of interest.
- Do you have a new building material, anti-weather/corrosion coating or other productivity-enhancing solution that’s close-to-market?
- Are you interested in providing solutions for the sector but need to find collaborative partners and funding?
If yes, then get in touch to find out more about this call and how the KTN can help by contacting Matthew Reeves.