KTN-iX posts nine new challenges - could you provide a solution?
Posted on 04/09/2019
Nine new challenges have been posted on KTN-iX looking for solutions in a wide range of challenges from identifying and simulating vocal urgency and stress in a training environment to the removal and disposal of silt and foreign objects from dockyards.
KTN-iX is an online platform that promotes innovation transfer, matching real industry challenges from large companies (Tier 1 and 2) to organisations, often from other sectors, who have innovative technology and can facilitate faster development of novel solutions to those challenges.
Challenges on the platform are in one of three sectors – Offshore Wind, Energy Systems and Nuclear. The solution to challenges could come from diverse sectors – the transfer of skills and knowledge from other sectors is a key driver for the platform.
The current tranche of challenges could be applicable to a wide range of industry sectors including:
- Artificial Intelligence
A full list of the current challenges is below.
- Identifying and simulating vocal urgency and stress in a training environment
- Efficient and effective cooling of electronics in a small package
- Reliable method to monitor and understand the health of fixings (bolts, studs, rivets)
- Improving the process for the inspection of welds
- Removal and disposal of silt and foreign objects from dockyards (confined spaces)
- Safety systems actuated on demand
- Novel alternative approaches to vessel propulsion systems
- Emissions reduction of heavy lifting equipment at ports
In addition to the new challenges, three challenges from Sellafield Game Changers have also been posted:
- Deployment techniques to allow remote working at height in high, hazardous areas
- Autonomous removal of Special Nuclear Material packages from a store to a transport container for export
- Remote inspection of Special Nuclear Material packages
The challenges are time limited and, if successful, solution providers could pitch to the challenge holders: KTN has already seen successful solutions to live industry challenges provided which has led to working relationships being established.
To look at the challenges in more detail and see if your technology area could provide a solution, click here.