UK - Canada call for bilateral collaborative quantum technology projects
Posted on 19/03/2020
In 2018 a global expert mission from the UK travelled to Canada to explore the potential for bilateral collaboration in quantum technology. Both Canada and the UK already boast world leading capabilities in quantum, and by building on these strengths and creating new partnerships we will ensure that quantum is well placed to deliver the maximum benefit for society and the economy on both sides of the Atlantic.
As a result of this mission Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) are partnering to launch a call for research proposals on quantum technologies. This call will allow for collaboration between leading-edge scientists and potential innovative users, from industry and/or government sectors, to accelerate the development of quantum technologies.
Projects will encompass the following areas:
• quantum secure communications
• quantum computing and simulation
• quantum sensing and imaging
What you need to know:
- Applications are invited for grants up to £300k in the UK and c$400k in Canada.
- Collaborations should be led by a business in the UK and a research organisation in Canada.
- An expression of interest phase will be hosted by NSERC while Innovate UK will host a virtual matchmaking service, linking UK and Canadian partners with complimentary interests to form new collaborations.
- EOI should be submitted to NSERC by 15 May 2020, and full applications will be invited by NSERC and Innovate UK on 15 June 2020.
- Canadian applicants are only eligible to receive funding from NSERC and other Canadian sources (government and/or industry) and UK applicants are only eligible to receive funding from Innovate UK.
- Funding will be provided to each project lead/principal investigator and local collaborators by the respective national funding body subject to national rules and budgetary availability.
How can you get involved?
Further details will announced soon, but in the meantime interested parties should contact Dr David Cunnah (email@example.com), Innovation Lead for Quantum Technology at Innovate UK.
Expressions of interest can be submitted to NSERC here.
To register for collaborative partners, click here.
If you consider you business to be cutting edge and innovative, this is not an opportunity to be missed.