Agri-tech Catalyst Colombia Call
Posted on 20/03/2018
UK and Colombian businesses, not-for-profits and research organisations can apply for a share of £3 million to support the uptake of new technologies and innovations in the Colombian Agriculture sector, particularly by female smallholder farmers.
The Colombian Prosperity Fund Programme and Innovate UK will invest up to £3 million in innovation projects to address challenges facing the agriculture sector in post-conflict and conflict-affected regions of Colombia, through the Agri-tech Catalyst Colombia.
About the Agri-tech Catalyst Colombia competition
This competition aims to support inclusive growth in the Colombian and UK Agri-tech sector through the development of innovative technologies, products and services. It aims to help farmers in Colombia, particularly female smallholders, adopt innovations faster. This will help the country meet international development objectives in agriculture, including:
- an improvement in the health and welfare of farmers, particularly female smallholders
- sustainable intensification of Colombian agriculture
- improvements in human health, and diversity in diets and nutrition
- an improvement in rural income and food security
- easier trade in agricultural products
The scope of this competition is broad and proposals may take innovative ideas from any sector or discipline that address:
- primary crop and livestock production, including aquaculture
- food security and nutrition challenges
- challenges in downstream food processing, provided the solution lies in primary production
Agri-tech Catalyst funding is available to UK businesses of any size, UK research organisations, and partners in Colombia.
Projects need to be collaborative and to include at least one UK and one Colombian partner. Research organisations from UK and Colombia can participate. The lead organisation must be from the UK. The work needs to be carried out in the UK, Colombia or both.
Innovate UK is particularly interested in projects that:
- integrate smallholders into supply chains to meet quality standards, improve productivity and create new supply chains
- support improved sustainability outcomes in Colombia, through technologies that reduce the environmental impact of crop, livestock or aquaculture production, or that help to reduce deforestation
- increase the value of production to smallholders
- encourage digital agriculture applications in Colombia, through use of big data analytical innovations, or information services for farmers, particularly female smallholders
- develop innovations that increase rural income through improved processing or storage
- help control crop pests and diseases or weeds
Projects and their outcomes must fit with the Official Development Assistance (ODA) criteria and International Development (Gender Equality) Act. This aims to boost inclusive economic growth, poverty reduction, gender equality and women’s economic empowerment, and have a positive social or environmental effect on wider Colombian society.
More details regarding the scope, eligibility, funding, and application process are available on the Innovate UK website under “Funding Competitions”.
* call opens on 26th March 2018
* briefing event 5th April 2018, London – register here
* registration deadline midday 18th July 2018
* call closes on midday 25th July 2018
* applicants notified 7th September 2018
Briefing and brokerage event
KTN held a free briefing and brokerage event on 5th April 2018 in London to promote the Agri-tech Catalyst Colombia competition, and facilitate collaborative projects.
You can view the video recording of this briefing event, and separately a video of Andrew Jarvis, CIAT speaking about the needs of Colombian agriculture, in the video links below.
Video recording of the Agri-tech Catalyst Colombia briefing and brokerage event
Video of Andrew Jarvis, CIAT speaking about the needs of Colombian agriculture
We can help you find partners for your project
KTN and CIAT have produced lists of organisations that are seeking potential partners for an Agri-tech Catalyst Colombia Call project proposal:
Please note that these lists are based on information supplied by the organisations themselves, and the purpose of such database is informative only so you can identify a suitable partner to work with. KTN and CIAT are not recommending any institution within these lists to partner up with. KTN and CIAT will not be responsible/liable for the background, execution and/or result of the work with the partner of your choosing.
If you have identified a suitable Colombian partner to work with, and require more information please contact Maria Camila Gómez at CIAT (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Partnering mission to Colombia
In collaboration with CIAT, KTN is organising a partnering mission to Colombia for UK applicants to build a greater understanding of the challenges and opportunities of the Colombian agriculture, and to establish strong collaborations with Colombian partners.
The mission will take place for one week (including flight times) during the second part of May or early June 2018. Up to 15 UK organisations will be offered a funded place on the mission.
The deadline to apply for the partnering mission was 11th April 2018. Participants will be selected on a competitive basis through an Assessment Panel.