US-UK partnerships in offshore wind R&D: new £1.5m competition - Presentations now available
Posted on 04/11/2019
Innovate UK will invest up to £1.5m in UK companies partnering with US consortia to work on projects as part of the US $40m national offshore wind research and development programme. The National Offshore Wind Research and Development Consortium (the Consortium) is administering the grant program funded predominately by the US Department of Energy, New York State Research and Development Authority and several states.
Carrie Cullen-Hitt, Executive Director of the National Offshore Wind Research and Development Consortium, said:
“The Innovate UK and Consortium collaboration brings together industry knowledge in a dynamic way. We expect the results to bring critical technological advancements which will ultimately lead to reduced costs and faster deployment in the US.”
Innovate UK launched an expression of interest competition on the 4 November. Applicants must address one or more of the nine challenge areas as outlined in the current NYSERDA solicitation. These are:
- Array performance and control optimisation
- Cost-reducing turbine support structures for the US market
- Floating structure mooring concepts for shallow and deep waters
- Power system design and innovation
- Comprehensive wind resource assessment
- Development of a metocean reference site
- Heavy lift vessel alternatives
- Offshore wind digitisation through advanced analytics
- Technology solutions to accelerate US supply chain
View and download the slides here!
KTN is running webinars at 4pm on the dates below which include a summary of the competition, information on the approach and support to building US and UK partnerships/project ideas. To book a place, follow the link.
Further details, including how to apply, are on the government funding site here.
If you have any questions, please contact John Ransford, KTN’s Knowledge Transfer Manager, Energy.