Vacancy at KTN - Knowledge Transfer Manager, Rail
Posted on 16/09/2019
This role involves providing innovation support to companies working in the rail sector and the supply chain, driving knowledge transfer between the science base and industry, promoting networking and enabling innovation.
The role involves working with Innovate UK, the Department for Transport (DfT) and Network Rail (amongst other stakeholders) to deliver innovation programmes and support businesses to access relevant funding streams and catalyse new business partnerships. There is a requirement to identify opportunities to drive forward the implementation and delivery of the rail industry’s strategies (such as the underpinning capabilities for the Rail Technical Strategy) and Sector Deal, seeking to grow UK capability.
The aim of the Transport Team is to support the UK’s mobility innovation agenda in relation to government’s Industrial Strategy including the Future of Mobility and Clean Growth Grand Challenges. The team covers all traditional transport modes, passenger and freight, whilst remaining agile to respond to new and emerging innovations (e.g. Hyperloop, Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAV)).
Reporting to: Head of Transport
Salary: £37,500 to £49,500 (depending on experience).
Location: Home or office-based with some UK travel expected. KTN hub offices are in London, Harwell and Edinburgh.
- Support development and implementation of future strategy and work programmes for rail.
- Support the development of cross-cutting application areas such as manufacturing, digital, zero or low carbon fuels, data, robotics, AI, security and space for the benefit of rail stakeholders by working with other staff in KTN.
- Identify and monitor trends and opportunities for innovation through interaction with business and the technology base.
- Ensure that industry is aware of the funding opportunities.
- Lead and deliver briefing and networking events for Innovate UK, DfT and Network Rail.
- Visit companies, research institutions and universities, in the UK, to understand their R&D needs and innovation capabilities.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with external stakeholders, departments, forums, groups active in related areas.
- Work with the Transport team to understand the technology needs and opportunities for growth of UK Industry and the scientific capabilities of the research base, facilitating the transfer of knowledge within and between these groups and the establishment of collaborations.
- Understand and facilitate access to innovation support mechanisms for businesses and to help develop funding and investment applications.
- Promote the benefits of KTN and innovation within a business context to the UK sector including the preparation of promotional material and the use of various media.
- Develop and lead cross-community activity within KTN to help build new rail supply chains to create value for UK businesses.
- Liaise closely with KTN staff across all sectors and technologies to ensure a good understanding of other sector activities, to ensure well informed and integrated working.
- Produce articles for newsletters, blogs of interest to our members and similar media.
- Organise meetings, workshops and networking events in a variety of commercial and scientific areas.
- Undertake necessary administrative duties including the timely completion of accurate reports, meeting minutes, timesheets and expenses.
- Maintain and disseminate an up-to-date view of the aviation industry, including technology developments, key innovators, market trends/needs and business funding opportunities.
- The role will require regular UK travel including overnight at times and possibly some European or Global travel.
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the UK as sponsorship is not provided.
We also have two further current vacancies: Knowledge Transfer Manager Aviation (closing 1st October) and Executive Director Programmes and Growth (closing 4th October). For details of these, see our jobs page.