What can your business do to reduce plastic waste? – Challenges and solutions
Posted on 28/05/2019
Consumers are demanding that their plastic packaging is not damaging the environment and recent initiatives and laws demonstrate the effect that they are having. However, what about plastic waste that does not directly interact with a consumer? This accounts for 40% or 1.2mt of current UK plastic waste that is currently not recycled. It is clear that this needs addressing by the implementation of new technologies and innovations. The UKCPN is running a series of events to introduce potential opportunities for your business in this area and also understand the actual challenges you have, both now and in the future.
Come along to one of the sessions being held across the country if you would like to:
- Maximise recycled plastic feedstock in the products you make.
- Understand the implications of replacing the plastics you use in your products with alternate materials.
- Minimise plastic waste from your manufacturing processes (e.g. to landfill)
- Explore alternative outlets/uses for the plastic waste generated in your manufacturing processes.
Find out more about these sessions here.
Also, if you are a solution provider for the challenges listed, we want to understand your capabilities and connect you to those who need help.
The first events have been announced as the following:
- Wednesday 3rd July 16.00 – 19.00: Portsmouth University
- Tuesday 9th July 16.30 – 19:30: 3M BIC Centre, Huddersfield
- Wednesday 18th September 08.00 – 10.30: Henry Royce Institute, Manchester
The events will provide an opportunity to hear about the current UK plastics recycling landscape, plastic waste case studies and challenges in the plastic waste sphere, as well as an overview of UK funding opportunities. The workshops will demonstrate the work of the UK Circular Plastics Network and how it can help you understand innovations in the plastics economy and opportunities for collaborations to innovate in this space.
The workshops are open to all sectors and sizes of business but will be of particular interest to those in the non-FMCG sectors. We also need to hear your own challenges, so that future funding can be targeted directly at maximising value to business. This is your chance to let us know and inform government of the issues you face.
You can register today.
If you’re interested in the UKCPN workshops then please click here to sign up to become a member of the UK Circular Plastics Network.