4Manufacturing® is a diagnostic tool with support framework that helps manufacturers to deploy digital technologies and realise the 4th Industrial Revolution (Industry 4.0). 4Manufacturing® was developed in partnership with industry
Industry 4.0, or the “4th Industrial Revolution” (4IR) offers a transformative opportunity for manufacturing. Digital technologies and systems can transform manufacturing, helping realise their future goals.
The Knowledge Transfer Network’s 4Manufacturing initiative is a revolutionary new approach developed in partnership with the industry to help manufacturers to innovate. It provides strategies for businesses to realise a more productive, prosperous future enabled by the integration of technologies and systems using digital data within both the business and the supply chain.
We know that companies face the following barriers and challenges:
1. Legacy systems and integration is the single biggest digital challenge.
2. Identification of new business models for vendors to make middleware and targeted software more accessible by manufacturing SMEs allowing them to embrace 4IR
3. Building competence and confidence within the company where there are skills gaps.
4. Fit for Digital. Companies of any size need to be in a fit state to benefit from adopting new technologies (machines or software). Failure to do so will compromise predicted benefits and productivity gains, rendering a high ROI an almost unachievable ambition.
5. Access to easily accessible specialist, localised programmes to help manufacturers navigate this complicated landscape and find a result that is tailored for them.
6. Support to help manufacturers understand the terminology generated through 4IR.
7. An approach that works for many manufacturers is – led from the top – driven from the factory floor.
4Manufacturing provides support from trained advisors that work with industry to
— understand your needs and identify opportunities
— define and follow a step-by-step balanced plan of action
— start with small improvements and grow capability and confidence
— make targeted links to enablers and funding
— deliver tangible benefits for your business
The programme has been tested and refined over two years, engaging with well over 200 manufacturing SMEs. To find out more go to www.4manufacturing.co.uk/manufacturers
KTN is also developing a growing cohort of delivery partners – the likes of LEPs, Growth Hubs, Universities, manufacturing and innovation managers – that are deploying the platform we’ve developed. This will enable them to utilise this proven, practical and effective support to manufacturing SMEs in their local region. Use of the tool is free and KTN will provide free specialist training.
To find out more go to www.4manufacturing.co.uk/partners