The UK Government established the Synthetic Biology Leadership Council (SBLC) to provide a steering structure governance body to assess progress and update recommendations and shape priorities for future implementation of the synthetic biology roadmap for the UK.
The SBLC provides a visible point for strategic coordination between the funding agencies, the research community, industry, government sponsors and other stakeholders, including societal and ethical representatives.
Secretariat of the SBLC is provided through Innovate UK by the Synthetic Biology Special Interest Group.
Synbio in the UK – A decade of developments
A report launched by the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2009, highlighted synbio as an emerging and enabling technology, capable of providing cross sector solutions in areas ranging from health and chemicals to agritech and materials to name a few.
A decade on, there has been:
- an investment of more than £300m of public funding into synthetic biology research and capability in the UK.
- the establishment of six Synthetic Biology Research Centres (SBRCs), five DNA synthesis facilities, centres for doctoral training and a dedicated Innovation and Knowledge Centre (IKC) ensuring the education and maintenance of a skilled synbio research base and
- publication of further synbio documents with the ‘Roadmap for Synbio in 2012’ and ‘Biodesign for the Bioeconomy in 2016’ a strategic plan for UK synthetic biology to translate the synbio opportunities into commercial outcomes.
- formation of over 150 Start-up and spin out Synbio companies.
- establishment of a synbio community and network through KTN’s Synbio SIG
The Synthetic Biology Leadership Council published an achievement brochure highlighting UK synbio activities in the last 10 years. Download the brochure here.
Who are the Synthetic Biology Leadership Council?
The Synthetic Biology Leadership Council (SBLC) is jointly chaired by Lord Henley (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and member of the House of Lords) and Prof Lionel Clarke.
Members of the SBLC include:
- Professor Janet Bainbridge (Department for International Trade)
- Gordon Ford (Innovate UK)
- Dr Yvonne Armitage (KTN)
- Dr David Tew (GlaxoSmithKline)
- Dr Rowan McKibbin (BBSRC)
- Professor Richard Kitney (Imperial College)
- Professor Dale Sanders (John Innes Centre)
- Professor Joyce Tait (Innogen, University of Edinburgh)
- Dr Tim Fell (Synthace Ltd and BioIndustry Association)
- Professor Tim Dafforn (Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and University of Birmingham)
- Prof Petra Oyston (Dstl)
- Jason Vincent (Syngenta)
- Dr Amanda Collis (BBSRC)
- Dr Louise Ball (Defra)
- Dr Jo Bray (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)
- Jonathan Hoare (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)
- Paul Henderson (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)
Secretariat: Dana Heldt (Knowledge Transfer Network)
Sponsors and Partners
Downloads & documents: